Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Brit Fan Girl - Saturn's Children by Charles Stross


I've always been a big fan of British fantasy/sci-fi, maybe because as a UK dweller the author's 'voice' feels more natural to me, but I think its because I love reading about places I've seen or can visit if the whim takes me, unless it's a different planet, that is.  


I've always wanted to dedicate a regular slot to the many underrated British authors I've met and some I have yet to meet. I hereby introduce you to my Brit Fan Girl segment and today's book review is Saturn's Children by Charles Stross.

Goodreads Blurb


Sometime in the twenty-third century, humanity went extinct leaving only androids behind. Freya Nakamichi 47 is a femmebot, one of the last of her kind still functioning. With no humans left to pay for the pleasures she provides, she agrees to transport a mysterious package from Mercury to Mars. Unfortunately for Freya, she has just made herself a moving target for some very powerful, very determined humanoids who will stop at nothing to possess the contents of the package


My Review
Saturn's Children is a fast paced, action filled space opera with a somewhat convoluted plot and underlying mystery. The story is written in the first person giving the reader insight into Freya's increasing paranoia and confusion and although I don't have a problem with swearing in a book, her language seemed to be controlled by a censorship chip limiting her ability for profanity; shit being the only word reserved for up-the-creek-without-a-paddle bad situations and repeated often that it got annoying. The erotic element felt lackluster and fell flat for me and considering that the protagonist was created solely as a pleasure robot for an extinct race, the sex seemed emotionless and robotic (ha).



I had high expectations of Saturn's Children, I thought I'd found something substantial that would stay with me long after I finished it and though I enjoyed the world building and well crafted story, it was much more lighthearted than I had expected despite the dark themes of slavery and extinction tackled in the story.


It's been a while since I've read Sci fi and though it was OK and not great, this book still made me want to read more from this author and the genre in general. I give Saturn's Children 3 stars***.


No comments:

Post a Comment